Saturday, January 9, 2010

The oldest cards I have ever traded for

My blog interuption has been interupted by snow.  No soccer games due to tempatues in the negatives and a few inches of snow on the ground.  This mean I can catch up on trade posts.

After my boxing day post I got an e-mail from Shawn of Pack War.  He had some old boxing cards to trade.  So I sent him a few vintage football cards and I got some really awesome stuff in return. I have some older cards but I bought them all myself.  These are the oldest I have ever traded for.  Before this trade it was a 50 Bowman from Cardboad Junkie.

These first two are 1938 Churchman boxing cards.

I'm typing in the middle because that is all that blogger will let me do right now.  (I'm not going to try to figure out why it makes me put the pictures there because I kind of like it right now)

Jack Johnson was one of the best fighters of all time.  James Earl Jones even a movie abot himbut I can't think of the name of it right now Johnson was definatly interesting.                                                               

(Little Scans For Little Cards)




Schmeling was a formerWorld Champion and is best known for his fights with Joe Loius.  He was also one of the founders of Coke and a good friend of Ty Cobb. 



These put me within two cards of having the whole set.  I'll probably have to break down and buy them off ebay becaue the two I am mising are #6 Braddock (aka Cinderella Man) and #26 Joe Louis.

Shawn also sent me a few 1928 Ogdens.  I didn't have any Ogdens before this and I a glad to have them now.  There are no superstars in the bunch but they are still 80+ years old.







Last but not least, is a 1954 A & BC Chewing Gum #116 Jack Dempsey. This is my favorite card of the trade and my first A & BC card. Atually I had never even seen one before. It is printed on a really thin paperstock and has a blank back. It is also a real odd size bigger than a tobacco card but smaller than say a 50 Bowman.

I'm not going to type anything about Dempsey because I have it under good authority that a certain long winded blogger will soon be doing a Dempsey post that will make mine pale in comparison. So watch the Troll's blog for a post about him; you know if he writes about a guy, with a nickname of "The Manassas Mauler" who also had a dog bread named after him it is going to be a good read. I am going to put a few quotes by Dempsey on here though because they are too good to pass up:

"I can't sing and I can't dance, but I can lick any SOB in the house."


"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't."

Thaks Shawn for you the trade.

1 comment:

Collective Troll said...

Adam, GREAT POST! Those are some really awesome cards... I have never seen that set before... Thanks for the shout out, my Dempsey post is ready any day now, BUT it isn't that Dempsey... ITs about the Irish bare knuckle fighter Jack "Nonpareil" Dempsey...