Sunday, August 15, 2010

I Love Vintage In The Mail

I'm always up for a package from Night Owl.  Great things are always inside.  This may be the best thing he has ever sent though.  It isn't very often someone sends you a 50+ year old card.  A dealer told me a  story about Jensen once when I bought a 61 Topps Jensen off of him.  I don't know how true it is but I was told he retired because he was afraid to fly so when road games became so far away they had to take planes he retired.  It is funny the kind of discussions you can have at a card show.

I scanned these a week ago when I got the package from Greg and had something I was going to say about them.  Sadly I forget what it was.  Nothing at all sticks out about these at the moment so...


I know why I scanned this one.  It is a finisher card.  One of those cards that finishes off a team set.  Right now I am hearing that people are calling for Wade's number to be retired.  I know he is in the hall with a Boston hat and he was a great player for us over the years but there is that going to the Yankees thing that makes me not want his jersey retired.

I hardly ever see 06 A&G so this SP Schilling is really appreciated.  I still need about have of the regular 06s and almost all the minis.  Plus there were a few boxers in the set that I would like to track down at some point. In this scan along wth Schilling is a T206 mini of Kottaras.  I wish I had somewhere to go to find more mini cards.  The few card shops I have been to never have any the last show I went to had some but they were to salty.  I guy there had some Obak minis for 2.50 each and $5 for the Ted Williams.  No Thank You.  I will just wait 5 years for them to slowly trickle in.  Actually my card shop friend had a whole box of minis that he gave me a good deal on so I have a bunch to trade if anyone is interested.  I have multiple years of A&G along with T206 and a few oddballs.


Thanks for the cards Greg.  I almost have something to give you in return for them it just isn't here yet.  Even when it does get here I will probably still owe you so you might just have to expect two packages.

1 comment:

night owl said...

Two packages? Weeeee!

I read the same thing about Jensen. It was kind of a combination of fear of flying and just being sick of being on the road all the time that made him quit. He made a comeback, but it lasted only about a year.