Friday, May 10, 2024

Why Are There So Many 84 Topps Blank Backs?

 I have 55 saved eBay searches.  Multiple times a day I open my eBay app and go to saved searches and see if something popped up.  Obviously one is Virdon but I have dozens of others that are Virdon with a second word.  One of them is the word blank.  The reason being if a Blank Back Virdon shows up on my regular search I was afraid I would miss it when I scan through them because the picture it shows will be the front and my brain automatically says, "you have that, keep scrolling".  That Blank search has worked a few times. 


This is a 1984 Topps Blank Back Virdon (would be number 111)


It has worked so well in fact that I now have three 84 Blank Backs


I bought them all separate times.  When bought numbers two and three I did so without consulting my list because I thought it must be rare so I snatched whatever BIN it was listed at.  So now I have three.  So now I wonder why are there so many 84 Topps Blank Backs?  Why do I not see them in other years?

2 comments:

Fuji said...

I've seen a fair share of blank backs (and fronts) on COMC (and from time to time in bins at card shows)... but have never pulled one from a pack myself. I wonder if they were slipped out the back door by Topps employees or got past quality control and inserted into packs.

I've thought about buying a few blank fronts and making my own one of a kind art cards. Maybe one day.

night owl said...

I've seen the most blank backs for 1987, although maybe it's because that year's set is everywhere.