Wednesday, May 8, 2024

2015 Cardboard Icon 55th Anniversary of the 1960 Pirates World Series

 Originally I scanned these for TCD but the scans were too big to let me upload them.  I had already put them away in their binder pages and I am not about to get them out and rescan them so I am going to post them here instead.  

These are 5x7 cards that you could only buy from the Topps website in 2015.  It is hard to see but they are serial numbered to 199 in silver on the left border right above the World Series Trophy.  Silver Serial Number on a Silver Border, great idea Topps.


These are blown up replicas of the 1960 Topps Team set.  I had to buy the whole team set just to get the Virdon.  To be honest because these have been in a binder for nine years I don't even know what I did with the rest of the team set.  I may have traded it off or it might be sitting in a box somewhere. If I remember right the silver team set was $25.


There is a gold version too, they are all numbered to 49.  And they set me back 50.  The Gold on Gold serial numbers shows up way better than the silver does but still a bad decision.  They should have put it on the white border or even on the back.


When I saw that nobody had scanned them into TCB I couldn't find them.  For some reason they were the very last page of my card binder.  I maybe justified it that I got them from Topps so they are obviously cards so I put them in the card binder.  The fact that I couldn't find them when I was looking for them tells me that they need to be in the oversized binder.


2 comments:

Fuji said...

Totally forgot about the Topps Cardboard Icons oversized cards. I did a quick email search and discovered I picked up the Gwynn, Henderson, and Favre sets for my collection. Didn't realize they even had team themed sets (or gold parallels). Very cool.

AdamE said...

I didn't realize they issued more sets for other years. I just thought it was a 55th anniversary set.