Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Bargain usually means used and abused

Since I quit blogging my collecting pattern changed.  I no longer buy new cards. I still collect new cards but I don't actively seek them out.  I switched to just buying complete Red Sox team sets then I even quit that.  I focus solely on Virdon and vintage Red Sox.  Probably 90% of what I pick up is Virdon.  My vintage Sox purchases are almost always of the bargain variety.  Here is my latest Bargain:

1940 Playball Joe Cronin
Bargain usually means used and abused.  My newest bargain is Hall of Famer Joe Cronin. This card has really been used and abused.  I can't imagine what kind of person could fold a card down the middle twice like that.  I can't make myself do it to a common card from the late 80s early 90s not to mention a Hall of Fame member's card.


Somehow the back fared better than the front.  You can still see creasing but it isn't near as obvious as on the front.  The scan actually makes it look worse than it really is.  In hand you can barely notice the creases on the back.

2 comments:

CaptKirk42 said...

Wow that is a nice beat up card. The back is great with very little paper loss. Whenever I see cards folded in quarters I always wonder what the story is with them. Probably some kid had to stuff it in his pocket to hide it from big brother or mom and dad and fortunately took it out before those pants got tossed into the laundry.

Mark Hoyle said...

I still do my team sets. But otherwise strictly vintage here.