Friday, April 26, 2024

Another yankee Mailday

 It feels odd getting yankee items.  As a Red Sox collector I have WAY to many of them but I keep getting more because Virdon spent a year and a half with the yankees.  

This is a 5x7 1974 Spring Training photo.  It is accidently the second one I own.  My non Virdon stuff is organized by size (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 9x11), then team.  The reason I did it that way is because the pages are a tad different sized and this keeps the same size pages together.  So all the 4x6s are together and it goes Cardinals, Pirates, yankees, Astros.  Then the 5x7s start and it again goes Cardinals, Pirates, yankees, and Astros.  When this showed up on eBay I didn't look at the size because in my brain all team photos were 8x10.  (and they mostly are)  When I checked the yankee section of 8x10s I didn't have this one and pulled the trigger.  Once it came in and it was a 5x7 and I went to the 5x7 yankee section I already had it.  So it goes with non cards, they are just so hard to track.  

At fist I only collected Virdon cards.  That expanded to postcards because to me they are like a close cousin to baseball cards.  Eventually I expanded that to 8x10, but only with some kind of printing mark.  Then I went back on that and added any 8x10.  Somewhere in there I added team photos but only if they actually list Bill Virdon on them.  o things like the 1972 Topps Pirates Team Card doesn't exist in my collection because Virdon isn't listed on it.

  

It really doesn't look like him in the picture.  Even zoomed in you can't see his glasses but I do think it is him because in tons of pictures I have seen of Bill Virdon from his time with the yankees, he is wearing black gloves.


2 comments:

Fuji said...

Wow. That coaching staff was loaded (Howard, Howser, and Ford... with Mantle as a special instructor). I wonder if Mantle is on the 1975 Topps team card. I was looking at it... but my eyes are so bad, I couldn't tell if he was or wasn't. There's a guy in the second row (first row seated in chairs, fifth guy from the right) that looks kind of like him, but I'm not sure.

AdamE said...

I don't think that is Mantle is on the 75 Topps card. I would guess he was just a special instructor for Spring training because the regular season 75 Team Photo doesn't have Mantle listed on it.