Thursday, April 25, 2024

About 10 Years on the Want List Then A Conundrum

 I originally pulled my Virdon Want List off of the Beckett website.  Since then I added cards as I found out stuff existed.  One of the original cards on my list was 1962 Swan-Virdon.


Beckett had it listed 15 years ago but Trading Card Database still doesn't know it exists.  I accidently found that it has a back variation.  It is the exact same card only it doesn't have the Swan-Virdon advertisement.  


It took me a little time to find that non advertisement back.  To find it I started searching JD McCarthy lots, and I finally did.  But in the course of looking at JD McCarthy lots I found this postcard.

It was a part of a large JD McCarthy postcard lot selling for like $1000 in one of the big auction houses and I wasn't willing to pay that much for a postcard.  I didn't know what it was but I knew it was a JD McCarthy postcard and he was kneeling in it.  So that is how it went on my want list.  McCarthy Postcard (kneeling).  It tool almost 10 years for one to show up on eBay.  Then oddly enough it took like six months for a second one to show up.



Now I don't have any proof but the fact that both of these were mailed in 1957 makes me think that is when they were produced.  So it is now being moved on my list to 1957 JC McCarthy (Kneeling).


The kicker now becomes what do I do about the 1962 JC McCarthy no add back?  because if you look closer at it.


 It got mailed in 1960 two years before Beckett says that the Swan-Virdon came out.  So was it a 1960 JD McCarthy or does Beckett have the year wrong?  These want list conundrums come up all the time with non postcards and team issues.  There are just no records of them out there so it is kind of fly by the seat if your pants and comparing small things. 

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Some solid detective work. Maybe the Swan-Virdon came out in 1962 and the JD McCarthy came out in 1960. Just tossing out an idea. Maybe the photo on the postcard can offer up some clues. Best of luck.