Friday, August 16, 2024

The Little Differences

 I wonder how many times I passed by a variation of card that I needed because they were so close to each other.  Recently I found not one but two variations of a card I already had.  


I had this team issued 8x10 that I picked up on ebay long ago.  But then searching Virdon cards on ebay I came across this one.  


It's the same thing only there is no yankees logo.  (the autographs are on card not facsimile)   This was good for me because I got to add another Virdon to my collection.  However...


I went to Trading Card Database to document it and third one was listed there.  It was readily available so I now have all three.  I assume that there may be another version that is the same as this one but without the yankee logo but until I see it I won't know for sure.  

Lots of team issues are this way.  They might have the same picture but say be labeled Manager on one card and MGR or even Mgr on another.  It makes it a never-ending search of team issues.  I save every team issue that shows up on ebay until I pull my binder out and compare them to the ones I already have.  


Sometimes they are even more subtle, like the above team issue that is the same photo with the same wording and font but the photo is cropped differently. 

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Interesting that Virdon signed that photo twice. Maybe he figured a collector might eventually cut it up and make a few displays out of it.