Monday, May 20, 2019

Now For Something Completely Different

I have been holding out on everyone.  I have talked about and shown my Virdon, Red Sox, and Boxing Collection but I have never shown or talked about any of my other collections.  




These are 1910 E27 American Caramel Teddy's Trophies.  It is a 30 card set featuring animals from Roosevelt's 1909 African Safari to procure specimens for the newly founded Smithsonian Institute. He did just that collecting 11,400 specimens.  He later chronicled it in his book African Game Trails. (which one of these days I am going to buy a copy of.)



The card backs are all exactly the same.  A blurb about the hunt, a checklist, With Manufactured By American Caramel Co at the bottom.


Not all the cards are horizontal a handful of them are vertical.  You can hardly tell from the scans but these cards are surrounded by both a white and gold border.  The gold border really stands out in hand.  It is almost like it is gold leaf instead of regular print. 

It is a cool little set that I am about halfway through with.  I could probably go all out and finish the set tomorrow via eBay but instead I slowly pick them up when I see them for a good price. 

1 comment:

Fuji said...

These are so cool! Never seen these before, but after looking at the checklist... I kind of want to track down a copy of the elephant.