Friday, May 22, 2009

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown

Living in the middle of Cardinal territory can be tough sometimes for a Red Sox fan. Not near as tough now as in years past (Thank You 2004!!). There is constant banter between me and my coworkers. More so with one particular co-worker than any other. Yesterday (I'm writing this at night and posting tomorrow so technically this morning) (did that make sense) I had on a Red Sox jersey and he asked if it was "Big Pop-up. I replied no it is the guy bating .400. More word were said, he thinks I only like the Sox because they win now, I think he only likes the Cardinals because they are crap like him, yadda, yadda, yadda... Finally we come to who is a bigger fan. He had a little advantage because he is an old fart so he was a fan longer, but I travelled farther to see my team play (Tampa) than he had so that put us back to even. Eventually we came to the conclusion that we had to had a contest to see who was a bigger fan. (I tried to get him to go with who had a better record at the end of the year but I burnt him on that last year and he wasn't going for it again)(maybe that makes me a bigger fan right there) So we came up with the following: who can wear something related to their team for the most days in a row without repeating. We also put a couple of stipulations on it; he decided that they have to have the team name or logo on them (that eliminates my Yankees Suck shirt) and I said that whatever is worn has to be worn all day long (I know he has a ton of Cardinals sweatshirts and it will be June/July soon). I'm kinda at a disadvantage here though since we live in Missouri it is no problem for him to buy a Cardinals something as the contest goes along. I'm sure there is a store real close that has $2 Edmonds/Eckstein shirts he can pick up. I have to order whatever I add to my wardrobe. Still I have almost 2 months of stuff to wear before I repeat (mostly because I have 2 sister-in-laws that each by me a hat for my birthday and for Christmas). Plus somewhere in there my birthday will fall and I will get a few more.

Does anyone else live in enemy territory and have to put up with this stuff?

5 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

I live in Arizona and the people here have pretty much jumped on the Cardinal bandwagon. I'm a lifelong Steelers fan. My students didn't like it when I wore a Steelers shirt the day after they beat the Cards in the Super Bowl. I'm surprised something didn't happen to the Steelers pennant that I have in my classroom. :)

steveisjewish said...

thats too funny - I wish you well

--David said...

Good luck with the contest! If I find some discount Red Sox stuff in my escapades, I'll happily send them out to ya (don't hold your breath though - Arkansas is basically split between Cardinals and Rangers from what I've seen in stores...)

Rod (Padrographs) said...

I live in a town where the Trailblazers are the only game in town and people don't even know what baseball is. I get grief for wearing Padres stuff instead of Blazers.

Spiff said...

Yup, I hear you. Living in Royals territory 500 miles from the Rangers I can't find their stuff in the stores. I tend to use Ebay a lot and stock up at Wal-Mart when in Texas. I don't have to deal with it at work though, nice part of wearing uniforms. Good luck with the contest. Let us know how it comes out.