Thursday, October 22, 2020

Another White Whale

 It's amazing the things Player Collectors consider a white whale.  If you would have told me as a kid that I would covet the stiffener that someone received from the laundromat I would have thought you were crazy.  Heck, I bet if you told the owners of said laundromat that their stiffeners would be highly sought after they would have thought you were crazy.  But here we are in 2020 where craziness abounds. 


That is a 1964 KDKA Pittsburgh Pirates Portrait of Bill Virdon.  (90% of it anyway.  It is bigger than my scanner's bed)  These were advertisements for the Pirates Broadcasting partners but they were actually issued by Sweet Clean Laundry as stiffeners for men's shirts.  Nowhere on the card does it mention the laundromat only KDKA, hence the name.  My Standard says that these cards are 8"x11-7/8".  Mine is a little bit off.  Mine is right at 12" up and down but across it is 8" along the bottom but closer to 8-1/8" at the top.

I have known that this existed for close to 25 years but had never seen one.  I have only seen a few of the KDKAs on ebay before but never the Virdon.  As soon as I saw it I scooped it up.  What I am going to do with it now is a different story.  It is just the wrong size.  8x11 fits in a binder, 8x12 fits nowhere.  It got shipped to me in a 12x15 top loader which is where it is going to stay for now. Maybe I'll frame it I don't know yet.  That might work if I got it autographed.  

So what's the next white whale?  I don't know.  A few of the Virdon's I do not have are unobtainable.  I know were a few 1/1s are but the guy is a Pirates Collector and isn't going to get rid of them. Most of the rest of my Virdon "wants" are team issues that I can't identify.  Heck I may already own them but can't find a resource that tells me the 75 Astros Team Issued Postcard looks like ____.   


I know that a 1961 Harmony Milk Virdon exists even though the SCBC says that it doesn't.  Something that doesn't exist but does, that may be my next white whale.

6 comments:

Daniel Wilson said...

That's awesome that you were finally able to pick up something that obscure!

John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mussen said...

Am short of words for the amazing profit you helped me earn in just a week with bitcoin trading am so sorry I doubted at the beginning, I invested $200 and earn $2,500 in just one week, and kept on investing more, today I am financially successful, you can contact him via email: carlose78910@gmail.com Via whatsapp: (+12166263236) I advice you shouldn't hesitate.
He's great

Ruth Walls said...



IT HAS BEEN TESTED AND TRUSTED
PUBLIC NOTICE:ANYONE USING SIMILAR NAMES,EMAILS,BUSINESS ADS AND WEBSITE LIKE MINE IS A SCAM PLEASE DISREGARD THEM,THANKS.

Are you in financial crisis, looking for money to start your own business or to pay your bills?I got mine from Mike Fisher. My blank ATM card can withdraw $2,000 daily. I got it from Her last week and now I have $14,000 for free. The blank ATM withdraws money from any ATM machines and there is no name on it, it is not traceable and now i have money for business and enough money for me and my family to live on .

GET YOUR BLANK ATM CREDIT CARD AT AFFORDABLE PRICE*

They sell this cards to all customers and interested buyers worldwide,the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $2000 to $5000 and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores and unlimited on POS.*
*email: blankatm002@gmail.com
you can also call or WhatsApp us Contact us today for more enlightenment +1(765) 705-0044


Elena Antonio said...

I want to say thanks to Ancient Dr Zuma Spell Temple for everything so far. To everyone who doesn’t believe in spell, I was one of those ones at first. I wasn’t quite sure if I wanted to do this since I’ve tried others so-called spells casters and they did not work and was a waste of my time and money. However, when I read through the testimonials of other people about his good work i decided to contacted him and after I talked Dr Zuma who answered all my questions and was very nice about everything, I decided to give it a try. I figured it would be my last try to get my guy back. So my story is that I was at my office when the guy I am in love with told me that he wasn’t in love with me and never will be and that he didn’t want to speak or see me again, especially since he was talking to this other girl. When I talked to Dr Zuma, he let me know which spells would be most appropriate for me and I chose the ones that was to get him back to me and stay with me and want to marry me. As soon as he started on the spells, my guy came back into my life! It was a miracle to me and I’m so thankful for that. Things have been going well, and pretty much according to what Dr Zuma said would happen. He’s always there when you need him and that’s also after the spell is done. I’m still waiting for the spells to completely manifest, but with all that has happened so far I’m very happy because i was already given up on myself before contacting Dr Zuma, if you asked me or my friends if I would have anticipated how things were right now…no one would believe it! Lara. To contact him spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com WhatsApp him +15068001647

scot frank said...


GOOD CARD WITH COOL CASH...Get THE 2022 BLANK ATM Programmed Card and cash money directly in any ATM Machine around you. There is no risk of being caught, because the card has been programmed in such a way that it´s not traceable, it also has a technique that makes it impossible for the CCTV to detect you and you can withdraw a total sum of $5,000.00 USD daily,try and get yours today from (MR OSCAR WHITE ) of oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com And be among the lucky ones who are benefiting from it. Now email the hacker :  oscarwhitehackersworld@gmail.com or Text/WhatsApp +1(330)-732-5665