Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Lists

I like lists.  Don't know what it is about them but I'm drawn to lists.  I like for everything to be in list form so I tend to make allot of them.  You couldn't have told this from my want list could you?  Anyway, every year I make a particular list, a wishlist for the GM.  I list a group of free agents that I would like to see get signed by the Sox.  I decided that this year I am going to share the list. 

Arian Beltre
Cliff Lee
Paul Konerko
Adam Dunn
Jason Werth
Carl Crawford
Ted Lilly
Scott Posednick
Randy Choate
Justin Duchscherer
Jason Fasor
Rafael Soriano
Victor Martinez
Matt Guerrier
Jon Rauch
David Ortiz
Andy Pettite
Pedro Martinez
Carl Pavano
Magglio Ordonez
Bronson Arroyo
Bill Hall
Omar Visquel
Scott Downs

Players are listed according to priority and I color code it as moves are made.  Red means someone else signed the player and green means we did.  I have to admit I didn't put as much effort into the list this year as I usually do, otherwise I would have had a backup option for a catcher.  I can't add one now because other than color coding the list is locked as far as content and priority.  So now that Detroit signed V-Mart I can't go in and add that we need to sign Varitek. To do that I will have to make a whole new list.  I really didn't spend as much time on the free agent list this year because I have only made one list and usually I make 2 of them.  The one you see above and also one that lists all the best free agents in order of greatness regardless of if they would fit in the red Sox scheme.
 
The moves I wanted to see this year were rendered obsolete weeks ago.  To me we should have never picked up Papi's option.  Instead we should have signed Beltre to play 3rd then Konerko to DH and play 1st.  That way we could have rotated the infield to give guys days off and keep them healthy.  So Youk needs a day off Konerko plays 1st, Beltre needs off Youk goes to 3rd and Konerko plays 1st.  I don't think that Ortiz is finished or anything I just think that would have been a better fit on the field and he isn't putting up 12.5 Million a year numbers anymore.

No comments: